The Philosophy of the MSc. in Insurance Risk Management programme is to train graduates to be knowledgeable and competent in applying insurance risk management techniques to solve real-world problems. The curriculum places emphasis on the ability of graduates to analyze, predict and adopt appropriate strategies to mitigate the impact of risk on individuals, businesses and the economy as a whole. The content of the MSc in Insurance Risk Management programme has been reviewed and accepted by bodies such as the Insurance Institute of Ghana and the Ghana Insurance College.
Aims of the Programme
The main aim of the MSc. in Insurance Risk Management programme is to equip students with the knowledge and skills to apply insurance risk management techniques to solve real-world problems. The specific objectives of the MSc in Insurance Risk Management are to:
• Enhance students’ knowledge of the theory and practice of insurance risk management.
• Equip students with contemporary insurance risk management and Alternative Risk Transfer strategies to mitigate the adverse operational ramifications of all sectors.
• Provide students with an understanding of the regulatory framework, insurance contracts and provisions as well as standards in the Insurance industry.
• Develop students’ technical capacity, and objective reasoning to prepare them for various roles in the insurance sector.
• Develop students’ skills and competencies to undertake independent research to address risk and related problems in the insurance sector.
• Equip students with the skills to use computer application software such as Java Virtual Machine and R in insurance risk management.
Learning Outcomes of the Programme
At the end of the MSc. in Insurance Risk Management programme, students will:
• Apply theoretical knowledge of Insurance risk management to real life situations.
• Use contemporary insurance risk management strategies such as Alternative Risk Transfer (ART) to mitigate adverse operational ramifications of all sectors.
• Apply insurance regulatory framework, insurance contracts and provisions, as well as standards in the insurance industry.
• Develop the technical capacity and objective reasoning to prepare them for various roles in the insurance risk management sector.
• Acquire skills and competences to undertake independent research to address risk and related problems in the insurance sector.
• Use computer application software such as Java Virtual Machine and the R software to solve insurance and related problems.
Target audience include: academics, Insurance Managers and Brokers, Portfolio and Fund Managers, Financial Risk Analysts, Risk Managers and Insurance Consultants, Bankers among others.
Duration: Twelve (12) months
Available Session: Evening and Weekend
(i) A bachelor’s degree with at least second class lower in Finance, Risk Management, Insurance, Actuarial Science, Accounting, Commerce, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics and Engineering from an institution recognized by the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission (GTEC).
(ii) Non-related bachelor’s degree holders with a minimum of two years’ working experience in insurance risk management or related field may be considered.
(iii) Relevant professional qualifications such as the Chartered Institute of Insurance (CII).