Philosophy of the Programme
The philosophy of the MPhil Finance programme is to provide students with a sound grounding to conduct independent research to bridge the gap between theory and practice to enable them function as academic finance researchers, finance lecturers, portfolio Managers, Financial risk analysts and consultants among others. The curriculum places emphasis on developing the needed skills and competences of graduates in financial modelling to provide policy direction and inform decision making for businesses and governments.
The MPhil Finance programme aims to produce world-class academic researchers and personnel in the field of finance for Ghana and the world at large.
The specific objectives of the programme are to:
• Bridge the gap between theory and practice through research in finance.
• Enhance students’ ability to model financial economic events and policies in the financial sector.
• Build a strong basis to synthesize and theorize based on observed occurrences in the field of finance.
• Strengthen students’ skills in finance-related academic research.
• To produce skilled and valuable finance personnel for the financial and educational sectors in Ghana and abroad.
• Sharpen students’ ability for self-learning and life-long study through the conduct of quality research and the application of knowledge acquired.
Outcome of the Programme
At the end of the programme students will be able to:
• Apply the theoretical knowledge in finance to practice through research in finance.
• Model financial economic events and policies in the financial sector.
• Synthesize and theorize based on observed occurrences in the field of finance.
• Acquire skills in finance-related academic research.
• Develop skilled and valuable finance personnel for the financial and educational sectors in Ghana and abroad.
Target audience include academics, finance researchers, finance tutors, portfolio managers, funds and asset managers, financial risk analysts, financial planners and consultants among others.
Duration: Two Academic Years
Available Session: Regular only
Prospective applicants must have a bachelor’s degree with at least second class lower in a finance related field such as Banking and Finance, Accounting, Economics or an equivalent chartered professional certificate in any of the areas specified above.