The Programme is a scholarly- practitioner driven to provide competencies to support organizations and business growth and competitiveness. The programme provides contextual quality knowledge and skills set to empower middle to upper level private and public sector managers with professional understanding of the quality management standards, practices, principles and application. It will therefore develop participants with the requisite capabilities to manage quality issues and deliver competitive advantages to organizations. The structure of the programme and nature of delivery is intended to meet high level academic and professional needs of managers who seek to improve or change the management culture of their businesses to conform to international best practices through the application of Total Quality Management standards, philosophies and principles. Some of the key models for concentration shall include Quality Management Systems (QMS), Quality System Audit, Managing Change and Continual improvement, Quality Strategy and Planning, Technology of Quality Management, Quality Assurance and Risk Management.
Aims of the Programme
The aim of the MBA in Total Quality Management is to develop participants’ competencies to able to design quality management systems that can create efficient, effective and competitive organizations. It also seeks to empower students with knowledge on quality management Philosophies and theories so as to appreciate how these can be applied in a real-life business environment to enhance growth and sustainability. Most importantly the Programme will stress the importance of the customer and understanding of the business environment to the success of organizations and how to use such knowledge to develop organizations that will be globally competitive.
The objectives of the Master of Business Administration in Total Quality Management programme are to:
• Describe the Concept of Quality and its Evolution in business environment
• Describe the various tools, techniques, technologies, and strategies for planning, assuring, controlling, and improving quality in business environment.
• Demonstrate the application of the Tools, techniques, Technologies, strategies for managing organizational quality
• Describe Quality Management System and Excellence Models and demonstrate how to set them up in an organization
• Discuss organizational assessments and audits processes, tools and strategies and undertake such assessments
• Explain the Quality Standards for Records and Information Management Systems using ISO 15489, undertake a records and information management gap analysis and develop a relevant system for an organization
• Discuss stakeholder/ customer analysis, SWOT Analysis, core competence analysis and use these to formulate strategies to create and deliver value
Programme Learning Outcomes:
At the end of the TQM Programme, students will:
• Develop the competencies in applying total quality Principles, Tools, Techniques, Technologies, and Strategies to improve business performance
• Develop a Quality Management System and Quality Plans using generic standards and excellence models like ISO: 9001:2015, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 Quality Management Systems, Deming Prize, Malcom Baldrige, EFQM among others to manage organizations efficiently and effectively
• Conduct organizational maturity and development assessments using a combination of techniques and strategies to develop quality plans
• Undertake value stream analysis to identify waste in the value chain and develop strategies for lean management
• Develop documentation, records and information management system to provide evidence-based decisions for management
• Undertake stakeholder and customer analysis to inform strategic management and customer satisfaction in organizations
• Support the development of a quality culture in organizations through people management and change management strategies
• Explain the difference among the four quality management functions (Quality Planning, Quality Assurance, Quality Control and Quality Improvement) and how to achieve them
• Compare the ways in which quality management methods are applied in the different industry sectors, including process, manufacturing, service, public and not-for-profit sectors
• Describe the different types of quality audits (1st, 2nd and 3rd Party Audits) and plans and conduct each type of audit.
• Demonstrate how customer requirements for a product or service can be captured, managed, and verified by quality assurance
Managers of Academic Institutions, Consultants, Researchers, Managers from both private and public organizations, Pharmacists, Production Managers, Quality Assurance Managers, Marketing Managers, Procurement Officers, Medical Officers, Blood Bank Officers, Security Officers, Bankers, Heads of Units in Manufacturing, Construction, as well as aspiring graduate students who want to be more effective in today’s challenging business environment by acquiring an advanced qualification in Total Quality Management are encouraged to apply.
Duration: Two Academic Years
Available Session: Regular Evening and Weekend