Master of Business Administration in Corporate Governance
The Programme is designed to prepare students to assume high managerial positions in large organisations and ensure that the organization is accountable to its stakeholders by setting processes which affect how the organisation is operated, regulated, and controlled with good ethical standards, best practices, and relevant laws. Students will also be given the appropriate skills in strategic management, formulation, implementation, and evaluation, as well as learn the value of good corporate governance and boardroom skills. Also, the programme will provide students with the skills needed to apply the relevant corporate management theory, as well as a highly specialised set of board level leadership skills for organizational performance. The uniqueness of the programme lies in practical emphasis without compromising academic rigour.
Aims and objectives
The overall aim of this programme is to equip students with knowledge, skills, and awareness to provide effective and efficient governance for business entities. The MBA in Corporate Governance will help establish a clear skillset for company directors, allowing them to reconcile external and internal controls, risk management, competitive behavior, and adherence to corporate law. The programme will also focus holistically on management problems under the perspective of compliance and corporate governance. Key to achieving the aims of this programme is to develop personal assessments, professional skills, and knowledge in corporate governance and convey in-depth skills for regulatory compliance and value-oriented management of corporate entities. The objectives of the MBA in Corporate Governance are to:
• Equip students with the essential knowledge and skills needed to dispense the functions of governance in an organization.
• Equip students with knowledge and skills to advise management units and boards on the best governance practices.
• Analyse issues confronting governance structures.
• Identify the roles of the drivers of corporate governance such as capital markets, shareholders, and rating agencies.
• Discuss with students the modalities of compliance with laws and regulations.
• Explain efficient internal communication and dissemination of information to and from the Board.
• Evaluate various external pressures that impinges on the corporate governance of corporate entities.
• Equip students with tools for self-development as a professional practitioner in Corporate Governance.
At the end of the programme students will be able to:
• Evaluate the principles of corporate governance in general and specific contexts
• Assess the strengths and weaknesses of different internal corporate governance mechanisms
• Gain an in depth understanding of corporate governance, from corporate, investor and other stakeholder perspectives
• Appreciate the importance of business ethics pertaining to various corporate governance issues.
• Explain the best practices in respect of corporate governance, as required to achieve high standards of corporate behaviour.
• Apply the corporate accounting and financial reporting practices in financial planning,
• Control and decision making.
• Analyse the various management accounting controls, information systems, principles of organization and strategy theories and their application to corporate management.
Administrative Managers, Human Resource Managers, Lawyers, Finance Managers, Management Accountants and leaders in all sectors as well as aspiring graduate students who want to know the value of good governance and be more effective in today’s challenging business environment are encouraged to apply.
Duration: Two Academic Years
Available Sessions: Regular, Evening and Weekend
• A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university with at least Second Class Lower Division in any discipline of study.
• Relevant, recognised Full Professional qualification ie. ICSA, CIM, ICAG, ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CIB, ICA, etc.
• International applicants with a first degree equivalent and English proficiency can apply for consideration.